Re: Swag for FUDCons

On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 15:08 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> Mo Duffy brought up a good point in the Board IRC meeting:
>
> * * *
> <mizmo> jsmith, is there real value in the number of t-shirts we
> produce? could we be doing something to provide more value for the $?

I think that the shirts have a lot of value (but I can see that some
folks may end up with too many). I'm proud to wear the handful of Fedora
shirts I have, they make me feel part of the community, and they are
great discussion-starters -- I think they are a cost-effective promotion
and community-building tool.

> Should we consider offering alternatives for FUDCon, or even general
> events?  Some of the ideas proposed:
>
> * Offer a choice for recipients to get something more {eco-friendly,
>   sustainable}, e.g. plant a tree
>
> * Offer the shirt in organic material if possible

Sounds great!

> * Sell shirts to finance other parts of the event

I like this idea a lot (thinking here in the context of a FUDcon). I
think most attendees would gladly lay down $10 or $20 for a shirt
(especially since the event itself is free), and folks with too many
shirts could opt-out. This could also allow folks who want pick up
extras for friends or family to do so. The proceeds could likely fund
the FUDpub.

One other comment: it was suggested during the IRC meeting that shirts
should not be dated (e.g., "Fedora" instead of "FUDcon Boston 2008").
While I think this would make sense if we were using a very small number
of shirts or had to deal with leftovers/waste, I don't think those
problems apply to our use of shirts, and there seems to be a hacker
tradition of taking pride in wearing proof of events you've attended
(how else do you explain the tattered OLS 2000 shirts proudly worn at
the Linux symposium?).

-Chris