Re: Wiki page for country

On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 18:56 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> (Sorry if I'm breaking the thread, I never received the original thread
> in my mail client for some reason):
>

> > One of the major objectives of the fedoracommunity.org domain
> > structure is to allow communities to build their own content, and not
> > have that content restricted unnecessarily by official Fedora Project
> > policies.  The use of "fedoracommunity.org" as the domain name helps
> > to clarify that the subdomains are managed independently and entirely
> > by Fedora community members.
> >
> > To redirect a fedoracommunity.org domain to an official
> > fedoraproject.org site is technically feasible.  But to do that, the
> > site content would be restricted to only material that can normally be
> > included on fedoraproject.org sites.  This issue is probably something
> > the Board should discuss: Should we permit a fedoracommunity.org
> > subdomain to resolve to any official Fedora Project site/page?
> >
> > My immediate thoughts are that the fedoracommunity.org subdomain works
> > best when we get out of a community member's way to provide useful,
> > localized information for Fedora.  The more restrictions we put on its
> > use, the less useful it becomes.  Muddling up the fedoracommunity.org
> > subdomain concept with the official purposes and policies of the
> > fedoraproject.org sites is likely to make life more difficult for a
> > local community that wants to grow its own content.
>
> I wanted to bring up a question on this: If a server-side redirect is a problem,
> then what about an HTML/javascript one to autoredirect the page?
>
> I also wanted to say that my opinion on this matter is that I
> understand the legal reasons as to why there is a fedoracommunity.org
> domain, but there are also many cases in which a fedoraproject.org
> domain would be sufficient, and that this will make it harder for
> folks to know what domain a given local community site is located
> at. I think it's important ticket [1] for creating a homepage for fedoracommunity.org
> listing all local sites in one place, irregardless of domain,
> is important, to make the experience of users locating their
> local community a much smoother one.

I think we're pointing in the wrong direction here, and brainstorming
solutions to non-problems.

We don't want to encourage fragmentation of the community along language
or geographic lines -- fedoraproject.org is *the* place we want the vast
majority of stuff to happen.

In those very few cases where a strong local or language community has
shaped up and want to run with management of their own web presence, we
have the TLA or foo.fedoracommunity.org options available, both of which
clearly differentiate the content from fp.o. A good index page would be
a nice asset, but let's not get carried away with spreading ourselves
out across a bunch of domains.

Consider: we don't want someone from -- oh, let's say Canada -- showing
up, realizing that there's neither a ca.fedoraproject.org nor a
ca.fedoracommunity.org site, and concluding that there's no one involved
with Fedora from her country (you can repeat the exercise with "us" or
any other country code in place of "ca"). At the same time, I really,
really don't want to create a new domain just to "solve" this problem.

-Chris