Re: idea: suggestion box

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I don't know that voting and having a full blown ideastorm like site is
>> that great. I think it lends into having a lot of people expect that
>> ideas that are "voted" the highest will automagically be worked on,
>> when it's not really the case.
>

> Only if you expose the vote totals for viewing directly.
>
> You can use idea voting in another way...you can encourage people to
> vote on ideas and then systematically sort the collection of ideas and
> voting records to come up with clumps of ideas and corresponding
> clumps of people who support a common theme and encourage them to work
> together towards their common aims. Instead of simply voting and
> expecting others to work on it the idea voting process becomes a way
> to map out groups of people who can work together towards a shared
> interest.  The board can look over the identified clumps, identity the
> ones that are generally inline with overall project goals and work to
> get the clumps of people working together as a self-supporting group.
>
> Its like how online dating sites work. Answer questions (creating a
> voting record) and use that to find a similarity metric. Except we can
> do it to find proto-working groups in a way that hopefully
> self-selects against poisonous personalities.
>
> In this sort of scheme, general popularity of a single idea isn't the
> metric. Its the similarity of multiple ideas and how people prioritize
> ideas.
>
> We could go further along the onling dating system analogy and if we
> could collect skills information we could even try to figure out which
> proto-team not only has critical mass of interested participants but
> also skillset coverage.

If the submissions were called something other than "ideas" or
"suggestions" we could avoid creating the impression that they'll just
magically happen. "Proposal" seems a bit awkward but is probably
closer to what people prefer across the project. It'd be helpful to
include a simple checkbox along with each submission: "[ ] I am
willing and able to spend a few hours a week working on this
proposal." Tagging would provide a means to sort the proposals into
clusters, possibly.

Paul