SWG Meeting Recap 2010-03-29

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Meeting:Board_strategic_working_group_2010-03-29

== Roll Call ==

* Attendees: John Poelstra, Paul Frields, Colin Walters, Mike McGrath,
Matt Domsch, Chris Tyler
* Last meeting:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Meeting:Board_strategic_working_group_2010-03-15

== User Base Diagram Followup (Paul/John) ==
* Got several different forms of graphic from different people, both on
the Board and elsewhere
* Paul met with Mo Duffy to see if she could help us with putting
together a diagram
** Showed her the different inputs
** A lot of different purposes; might need more than one kind of graphic
** Wanted to show magnitude and input of different components of user base
** Looked like other graphics that describe "communities of practice"
with smaller subsets towards top
** Movement upward is problematic since bottom might be viewed as "bad"
** Time progression not very useful/accurate in many cases since people
can move around
** Circular diagram gets rid of most of these problems, can portray the
same ideas
** Mo interested in ascribing different kinds of people to areas, hoping
to get her to reiterate on advisory-board@xxxxxx
** mdomsch: How does this try to address individuals in multiple roles
simultaneously?
** pfrields: Difficult to capture in diagram itself, but may be
addressed in narrative around it
* Need to have a central purpose to create a clear diagram--we need to
be clear on what that purpose is
** There are other models already that show how people change
involvement/skill in open projects -- this diagram is clearer if it's
simply about magnitude of different groups of people and how they affect
each other
* '''NEXT ACTIONS'''
** Paul to create a new version of the diagram
** Post to advisory-board list and request additional feedback from Mo
Duffy

== Spins (Colin/Matt) ==
* update https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Unfinished_Board_issues (
** move to finished section and tie out page references
* SWG believes all Spins issues have been discussed and resolved to the
best of our abilities
* '''NEXT ACTIONS''':
** Move action items and links to the Finished section to show where
we've identified specific issues and are pursuing them with definitive
fixes/actions

== Work on the Default Offering (Paul/Colin) ==
*
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pfrields/Desktop_user_experience_designers
* Since we don't have a group of full time designers we rely on a groups
of users with common interests
* How can we get more designers involved?
* Existing page does not seem to directly answer the ''issue/question''
being asked
* '''NEXT ACTIONS''':
** Paul to work on an updated version and send out to everyone today

== Next Meeting Topics ==
* As a group we updated
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Unfinished_Board_issues with the latest
information
* SWG has only two remaining topics to resolve
** Once the remaining topics are resolved the SWG will officially disband
*# https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Poelstra/What_is_a_target_audience
*#
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pfrields/Desktop_user_experience_designers