SWG 2010-03-15 Meeting Recap

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Meeting:Board_strategic_working_group_2010-03-15

== Role Call ==
* Attendees: John Poelstra, Mike McGrath, Colin Walters, Paul Frields,
Chris Tyler
* Regrets: Matt Domsch

* Last meeting:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2010-February/008135.html

== User Base ==

* Discussion of
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Poelstra/What_is_a_target_audience +
diagram sent in separate email
** http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/paste-bin/user-base-v3.pdf
** John: Remove call-outs on the left and marketing language at the bottom
** Paul: Make lower part of triangle bigger to represent that ''User
Base'' is much larger
** Paul: Maybe make another version of the triangle showing what
proportions might look like in the future.
** Colin, Paul, Chris: Use gradient instead of solid line between groups
** Colin: add some gradients and remove the hard line between the top
triangle and bottom
*** Colin: Make it easy for people to be contributors without joining
devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
* Idea of a "Minimum bar"
** This is the most basic profile of a person that we want to be
interested in our distribution
** The distribution is the primary gateway to participation + contribution
* Does it make more sense in the context of upward progression to cast
this as a "user base" instead?
** Pyramid model matches the model of user -> contributor that is used
in communities of practice (such as in CommArch)
** Colin: could enhance by thinking of axis: frequency of contribution
vs. experience level
*** Maybe split into two triangle, one as involvement and one as skill
*** draw parallel to community of contribution diagrams
* '''NEXT STEPS:'''
*# John to modify diagram
*# Upload diagram to a wiki page
*# Request that board review the diagram for consistency with user base
wiki pages https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User_base
*# Agree that this topic is closed
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Poelstra/What_is_a_target_audience

== Spins ==
*
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Walters/SpinsSigsRemixes_TargetAudience
* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Mdomsch/SWG_Spins
** Provides the answers to the originally proposed pages
** For ''pain points'' make sure we have links to where we are
addressing them
*
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Walters/SpinsSigsRemixes_ChangeDistribution
* '''NEXT STEPS''':
** Colin to add redirects, add links and tidy up as applicable to show
how we have addressed the questions originally raised

== Distribution Pages ==
* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pfrields/Current_default_offering
* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pfrields/Different_default_offering
* Both pages will go before the board on Thursday
* '''NEXT STEPS''':
** Paul to put before board at next meeting

== Next Meeting ==
* Paul will do a proposal to answer the question, "If the ''Desktop
Spin'' is the default offering, does this mean the Desktop team defines
the user experience for all of Fedora?"
** Chris: we should consider and address why this discussion keeps
coming up
* Monday March 29 @ 3 PM EST
** skipping next week because Paul and John have conflicts