Re: Response to "Getting Fedora Out of the If-Then Loop"

On Friday 19 February 2010 07:51:31 pm Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 9:05 AM, inode0 <inode0@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can we do better at striking that balance? Always. I personally
> believe the next step is to come back and to examine what the default
> spin is and is meant to be. The discussion about the default user
> experience focus is GOOD. It needs to happen.

First I didn't want to touch this topic but I think I can now ;-) It's a good
idea to have some target, something we can aim and something we can analyze
after time if we met it or not. Not easy task in open source world. But the
problem with this discussion is - it should be technology (in terms of
different desktops, spins) agnostic! There's no reason why the default Fedora
should be Gnome only, KDE only, LXDE only, server only or whatever super hyper
cool technology only is but the aim should be to deliver best experience for
users (developers, aliens, predators) . Yes, probably few purists from all
sides would complain now but I think it's the only way how to be successful.
These days integration between different projects is much more easier (DBus,
FreeDesktop.org specifications etc.) that I believe if we can communicate (and
break all barriers) we can deliver best Fedora ever by picking best piece of
software (and it's not only software). Interoperability is that strange word.
And next to this Fedora, there could be standalone Gnome spin, KDE spin,
server spin... Pure as glacier's water.

Communication is currently the worst issue in Fedora community and it's
crucial for open source to be successful. There should be no "I don't care
about Gnome/KDE/server whatever" but "I care, let's do it!". We are all one
community (I count even Ubuntu people :D). Do not play on your own small
sandbox, do a revolution! ;-)

Just my 1 CZK (full of cheap slogans) speaking as both Qt (KDE) and Gtk (s-c-
config tools) Fedora developer ;-)

Jaroslav