Re: RFC: Organizational Changes – Engineering Service

The obvious flaw here is “will people volunteer?” I think they would. I know I will.

Thought / comments?

I think that the idea is great. There's always a need for people who can just generally "get stuff done" to help move initiatives that touch various parts of Fedora along, and this team could help to organize and direct that group.

Here's what I'm already starting to wonder:

We've talked on and off over the years about managing the idea of "weekend hacks" and finding a way to let people who have lots of skill, but little to no experience applying that skill directly to Fedora, to get involved.

To me, the most difficult managerial task involved in this idea will be to properly spec out tasks or projects. "Show me a list of all projects that are projected to take X hours, have a deadline of $TIMEFRAME, and require someone with $SKILL."

Look at the thread from earlier this week that Matt started about taking a block of time and fixing up all the map generation. That to me is a perfect task for a team like the one Mike is describing.

How would that work be spec'd out, so that people could not only know that the work needs to be done, but also volunteer?

How can we use *some* of these tasks to be an easy way for someone to make an immediate positive contribution to Fedora, without having to learn a whole bunch of stuff first?

--Max