Re: "What is the Fedora Project?"

On 10/09/2009 05:55 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
On Fri, 9 Oct 2009, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:

A bit late to this thread -- my apologies.  Here's what I believe, and forgive
me if it's too fuzzy and meta.

I believe that the Fedora leadership should stake out positions that they
believe to be correct, and should work to mobilize resources that move us in
those directions.  That's what leadership is for, and that should be the
primary mission of the Board.

I also believe, however, that the Board must guarantee the freedom for
dissenting community members to move in their own directions.  Fedora's
governance was built to ensure precisely this freedom.  The Board is empowered
to bless the "Foo Project", but any Fedora contributor is free to form the
"Anti-Foo SIG," even if the goal of that SIG is to prove, through their
constructive actions, that the direction of the "Foo Project" is wrong.

It concerns me that we seem to be taking a tone that encourages us to exclude
people, as though it is strictly necessary to tell people "we don't care about
that, go away".  It is not necessary to do this. Rather, I believe that we
should say "we care primarily about *this*, and so we will focus on it, but we
understand that you care primarily about *that*, and we welcome your attempts
to make *that* happen as well."

I don't think anyone has said or implied that anyone will be telling
someone else to leave the project, in fact I'm pretty sure any comment on
that topic has been firmly against that.

Maybe not in this topic, but you can see where "we don't care about that, go away" in some recent discussion(s) describes the attitude of some more accurately, then would "we care primarily about *this*, (..) but we understand that you care primarily about *that*, and we welcome your attempts to make *that* happen as well".

I think gdk intended to say "go away" more in a sense of "get *that* out of our sight" then to say "leave the project now".

-- Jeroen