Re: Aligning targets

Paul W. Frields said the following on 09/25/2009 10:36 AM Pacific Time:
Our best statement of target audience for Fedora is found here:
   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview#Is_Fedora_for_me.3F

We may be able to resolve, or help FESCo resolve, engineering
decisions if we extend this description to include some exemplar users
who better represent this target.  In other words, we can draw a
better picture of "Uma," "Dietrich," and "Sayyid,"[1] each
representing someone for whom we want to make technical decisions.

Then the questions we need to ask become, do our current processes --
be they for testing/QA, release, package updates, or what-have-you --
support those users?  And how do we prioritize conflicts?

The best way I could come up with to further this discussion was to "do something" which was to update a few wiki pages.... naturally they can all be changed or reverted if no one agrees.

The original page:
https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Overview&oldid=122251

Advanced apologies to the original creators of the Overview page, but the page is too confusing. It is trying to cover too many topics and switches back and forth between them.

It starts by talking about "the Fedora Project". Then it talks about "who uses 'Fedora' " (notice we've abruptly changed subjects to the distribution), followed by several sections about the distribution and concludes by talking about the "Fedora Project".

Updated page:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview

I've created a new version with a reduced footprint that seeks to speak directly to the questions that have not been resolved like "Who is our target audience?" Defining our target audience based on "is Fedora for me?" is too round about. We should just come out and say what it is.

In turn I've also taken a shot at improving the Objectives page to better align with our core objectives. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives so it corresponds more with my earlier post about http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/blog_posts/2009-09-18/fedora-purpose-clickable-2009-09-18.html

I think we still have a little work to do. I'm not sure all the bullets in this section are in harmony with each other.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives#Creating_a_Free_.28as_in_Freedom.29_distribution

John