Live Re-Spins and Localized Spins

Hi there,

Fedora Unity is seriously considering Re-Spinning the Live Spins released with Fedora 10, based on Fedora 10 + updates. We might call them Re-Live-Spins, just for the fun of it ;-)

We know there is, or there has been, a lot of politics involved with the topic of Re-Spinning in general, and with the idea of Live Re-Spins even more so, as there has been when we first started with the regular installation media Re-Spins, or back in the day when we did the first Fedora Live Spin (using Kadischi). I think it's fair to say that, so far, we have not embarrassed anyone, despite the concerns or distrust.

Different arguments in previous discussions include, amongst others, the concern that Quality Assurance on our part might be lacking in comparison to the QA done on regular releases, and the fact that these Re-Spins or Live Re-Spins have not been composed on Fedora Infrastructure -wrt. security risks. All well so far, but the fact that these arguments have always been... let's just say... less constructive, not to bluntly say they have often been condescending, and sometimes even offensive.

After more then 12 releases of the Fedora Unity Re-Spins, we feel confident we have the team suited to fulfill the desire of the community to get their hands on some Live Re-Spins.

You may be wondering... "What part of the community are we talking about? How many people download these things anyway?". Well, at the time of this writing, 820 people are downloading the Fedora Unity spins[1] through BitTorrent, compared to 628 for the Fedora Project spins[2]. Bear in mind both have alternative distribution methods as well and these numbers do not represent anything -it's just an indication of the amount of people downloading Re-Spins and Fedora Unity Spins (Such as the Everything Spin).

Since it's not like we're on a tight schedule or anything, we wanted to give the Fedora Advisory Board a chance to tune in on our thoughts and process and discussion and tell us what you think, hopefully bringing some new arguments to the table.

A few more things to ponder;

- Fedora Unity wholeheartedly agrees with the fact these spins should be created on proper Fedora Infrastructure. Now, if only we could get our hands on a x86_64 Fedora instance... Regardless of the specific version of Fedora because our tools allow cross-composing stuff.

- Fedora Unity's Test team will make sure the Live Re-Spins also pass the respective QA TestCases. We may even come up with a few more as we put the spins through the wringer.

- Fedora Unity has automated the process. Scripts take care of jigdofying, torrentifying and distributing the Re-Spins and Live Re-Spins amongst several peers which, once the initial distribution has taken place, will become jigdo mirrors or torrent seeds.

- Yes, these efforts might be (are) better spent at testing rawhide or even Alpha/Beta/RC/GA releases. Don't worry, many of our efforts have resulted in testing what was to be in Alpha/Beta/RC/GA before it ever happened. Besides, it's not like we're proposing supporting Fedora releases until after it's EOL dates.

- Yes, these efforts might be (are) better spent at testing rawhide or even Alpha/Beta/RC/GA releases. However, with the Remix tools and configuration files being out there, someone has to take up the effort of supporting *current* releases -that includes the kickstarts, the tools, the applications (anaconda, pykickstart, etc), the packages included on spins, and the overall size of the spin. Right now, only Fedora Unity bothers.

- Fedora Unity has the tools to include sources with the spins. We have been distributing sources with our spins from the beginning, and we will continue to do so.

- The size of each Live Spin to be respun is most likely to increase. The same thing happens when a user respins the live media, and we are most likely to end up stripping packages off the live media, bearing in mind the original maintainer of the spin might be willing to help us and preserving the original use-case of the spin, or we are having oversized media that only fits DVDs. Right now, several Fedora 10 spins (when respun by a user) experience the effect of larger updates and pulled-in dependencies.

- The Fedora Unity team is also considering releasing Localized Live Re-Spins, finally aiding those particular parts of the community that request localized spins when walking up a booth at any given event, and those parts that request localized spins before they even go attend at a booth.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip

[1] http://spinner.fedoraunity.org:6969/