Re: Fedora Board Recap 2009-01-20

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Mike McGrath wrote:

How can 13,000+ active community members all lead a single project? Why have a board at all[1]? I think the community leading was great back when there weren't that many of us but now I really do think it's hurting people. I'm happy to continue to aid in leading the infrastructure team but where are we going and for what ultimate purpose.

I just look at this thread in a sort of stunned awe.

It wasn't that long ago before we were scrambling to have any community invovlement at all.

Now we're trying to figure out how to articulate a coherent vision on behalf of 13,000 people -- a number that continues to grow, by the way, despite the occasional doubts that we feel about whether we are on the right track.

This is an extremely high-class problem to have. I'm exceedingly grateful that we continue to be relevant enough to have this kind of conversation.

Oh, and an actual opinion, that may or may not be useful to people:

My favorite gin is Hendrick's.

From their website: "Hendrickʼs is an iconoclastically produced small
batch gin distilled in Ayrshire, Scotland. Our unusual distillation process combined with our oddly delicious set of infusions yields a one-of-a-kind gin that is passionately loved by a tiny yet growing handful of individuals all over the world. No other gin tastes like it because no other gin is made like it."

A frequently seen advertisement: "Hendrick's.  It's not for everybody."

Maybe some see Fedora as elitist.  Maybe that's not such a bad thing.

--g

--
Got an XO that you're not using?  Loan it to a needy developer!
  [[ http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Exchange_Registry ]]