Re: Spins process - technical requirements

Jon Stanley wrote:
A little while ago, a few of us had a meeting via phone[1] discussing
the spins process for F11.  One of my action items from that meeting
was to come up with a list of technical requirements for Spins.  The
Spins SIG already had some up[2], so for the most part, I didn't see a
need to go reinventing the wheel.  There is some overlap between my
(woefully incomplete, mostly because I envision it being integrated
into the existing page) draft[3] and the existing process.

This is intended to start a discussion of what other technical
requirements that there are beyond those which are in either of the
two wiki pages.  The end goal is to have something that is approved by
both the Board and FESCo, and executed by the Spins SIG.

[1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-October/msg00087.html
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Spins/CommunitySpinGuidelines
[3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Jstanley/SpinsTechRequirements

Here is an interesting question. We currently have, in the Spins Kickstart repo [1] those items which carry the trandemark, and those which do not. If we assume a process somewhat similar to [2] then it is highly possible for a different set of technical criteria for those spins which are to be called fedora, and those which are not.

Given the new remix mark, it seems to enable anyone to host these remixes where they wish. May I suggest that we modify the repo and the spin process to say that we will only accept those spins which will carry the fedora name. This would remove the bottom process line, and would allow us to difine an easier set of technical requirements (avoiding the "if called fedora, the requirement is X if not Y). This would make it much easier for the spin SIG to gate / verfy the technical bits for trademark approval.

-- bk

[1] http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/spin-kickstarts.git
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bkearney/ProposedSpinProcess