Re: Elected/Appointed Board

Josh Boyer wrote:

Red Hat provides the financial backing.  While some other companies have
donated hardware, etc, Red Hat is by far the company that makes Fedora
possible.

Having a non-Red Hat employee as the Chair would seem entirely odd to
me.

That was never asked for however. Red Hat can continue to appoint the chair with the veto power. The veto power has never been used and probably won't be. It is more of a escape hatch if the plane is about to crash. So I am not really worried about that.

In summary, what I asked was: If the chair already has veto power, does Red Hat really need a majority vote within the board too? Can we allow the majority seats to be elected ones instead of appointed ones? Or otherwise, can Red Hat consider appointing a non-Red Hat community member possibly even external to Fedora (but from within the Free software community) to bring in a broader perspective to the Fedora Board.

It is my strong belief that Red Hat members within the board won't vote for anything just because they work for Red Hat nor do I think Red Hat has tried to influence the direction in a bad way but this is something I wanted the board to consider for how we can be perceived externally.

Rahul