Re: Fedora TV, the video quandary, and a request for advice (fwd)

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

 4. Users should be able to easily specify licensing of the videos.

What licenses would we use? What ones would be verbotten?

This is a simple policy question. We *will* want "open video" -- that much we know. Licensing will come later.

Do we have a screening process before the videos go up to make sure
that they are related to Fedora and not someone trying to use it as a
gnu porn upload site?

I think we'll have to if we do our own storage. Vaniv had a mechanism for this, which wasn't great, but it was okay. In the long run, I foresee a SIG of video folks helping with this.

And from watching the daily MPAA/RIAA etc letters to the University..
what is the legal group that gets these subpoenas and evidence
preservation? Especially when someone puts up a 20 minute cut from
BladeRunner with some "commentary" to try and say it is a reasonable
quote on how Free Software should work. (Or they use a 20 second cut
and the MPAA still sends a takedown notice/subpeona/DMCA/ etc.) And
whether or not a 2 second music excerpt is allowed under copyright
law.. who gets stuck with the lawyers bill dealing with the lawsuit
from whoever currently 'owns' BabyGotBack.

And this is why human filters will be required. The nice thing: even if we are *very* successful, I think we'll be looking at a limited amount of content. If the problem is that the filterers are moving too slowly because we've got too much content, that's a good problem to have.

Hopefully these are things that can be said "duh" about.. but it would
be something that would make mirrors more available if they didn't
have to worry about the legal lawsuit for aiding and abetting (or
whatever gets MPAA lawyers salivating).

Well, then, maybe the mirrors idea is worth pursuing.

The issue I see with Archive.org is that they must be dieing under
network/storage bills these days. The amount of movie and music I see
streaming to our university is pretty high. My guess is that the
flakiness is that they are having to pair back what they can offer
because the costs are going up... or what links they do have are
saturated and they are not in a position to upscale.

Yeah. That's my take too. I only wish I could get into a conversation with them about it.

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager