Fedora Board Recap 2008-MAR-18

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board/Meetings/2008-03-18

== Roll Call ==

Attendees: Matt Domsch, Karsten Wade, Paul Frields, Steve Dickson, John Poelstra, Seth Vidal, Bill Nottingham, Chris Aillon, Dennis Gilmore

Regrets: Jef Spaleta, Bob McWirther

== Followup to Previous Business ==

=== Secondary Arch Hosting (2008-02-19) ===
 * Can Fedora host binaries for secondary architectures?
   * Change from original proposal
 * makes it easier to get new mirrors and use mirror manager
* DECISION: board approves of Fedora hosting binaries for secondary architectures
 * '''FOLLOWUP 2008-02-26'''
   * Infrastructure group raising issue with lack of space
* Are distribution methods a concern for growing secondary architectures?
   * OWNERS: Seth and Matt; Spot also assisting
* ACTIONS: reach out to existing relationships and pursue storage opportunities
   * '''FOLLOWUP 2008-03-04'''
     * Seth to do more followup with BU--potentially 150G
     * Spot reports 450G from HP
     * '''RESOLVED on 2008-03-18'''
* The board supports using resources for this purpose and leaves discretion for space usage to the Fedora Infrastructure group * The board also supports an infrastructure decision of 'sorry, can't do that now - not enough space' if that is the case too * Board members will continue to pursue additional opportunities for storage space with different vendors

=== Post-release updates of custom spins (2008-01-29) ===
 * Should the board have to approve them?
 * We will hosts as many spins as we have space for
 * Need to determine the hosting requirements and limits
 * How long will spins stay around?
 * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RahulSundaram/SpinsProcess
 * ACTION: Jef to review Rahul's proposal and report back to board
 * OWNER: Jef Spaleta
    * '''FOLLOWUP on 2008-03-18'''
    * Jef was unable to attend today--deferred to next meeting.

=== Codeina (2008-02-26) ===
* Still not comfortable that we are pointing people to content that is not "Free and Open Source software"
 * Cannot suitably fix codeina in the Fedora 9 time frame
 * ACTIONS:
1. Review email thread: https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2007-November/msg00050.html 1. Move discussion to fedora-advisory-board list to formulate a solution there
    1. Propose patching out other for sale non-free plugins
1. Bill Nottingham to make sure that live spin includes codeina correctly
 * '''FOLLOWUP on 2008-03-11'''
* Majority board vote in favor of patching out all other ''for sale'' non-free plugins leaving the freely available mp3 codec
     1. Three members absent
     1. One abstention
* Paul to check with codeina maintainer (Bastien Nocera) and Fluendo (Thomas Vander Stichele)
   * Paul to send followup to fedora-advisory-board-list
   * '''FOLLOWUP on 2008-03-18'''
* Discussion of past week's events in blogs and fedora-advisory-board list
     * Several different philosophical viewpoints on the board
* It appears that the board itself needs to further refine its philosophical beliefs * This should provide clearer guidance in the future for making decisions like this * Could we tie-in to marketing plan that marketing SIG is working to give greater focus and backing? * Impasse seems to center around "Free Software" vs. "Customer Usability"
     * Take discussion to fedora-advisory-board
        1) What to do w/ codeina package?
a) remove the orphaned package from Fedora" -- https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/users/packages/orphan
           b) include a new package to do what original intention was
        2) What should guiding philosophies of the board and Fedora be?
* Does the issue with swfdec-mozilla, on top of the community discontent, show that we are not having enough communication with FESCo? * We need to find the balance between FESCo issues and Board issues and make sure we're empowering them to decide matters when needed.

== New Business ==

=== GPLv2 distribution ===
 * Fedora distributes under section 3a and not section 3b
 * ACTIONS:
* Paul Frields to send link to Ambassadors providing guidance on compliance
    * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/Distribution

== Future Business (discuss at a future meeting) ==

=== Next Meeting ===
 * Date: 2008-03-25
 * Time: 14:00 EDT