Re: Codeina and how to proceed

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Matt Domsch (matt@xxxxxxxxxx) said:
In my opinion, if you're going down the road of not shipping *any* links
in codeina, then patching of codeina to just show a dialog is pointless - just nuke the package and implement the dialog elsewhere.

+1.

I'd really like to see our "education" [1] be able to describe the
pitfalls of software patents, as the relate to open source / free
software.  It does this today.

So, some stats:

# of unique IPs requesting the F8 mirrorlist: 1.5 million
# of bittorrent downloads of F8: 293233
# of smolted F8 systems: 158407
# of unique IPs retrieving the codecbuddy page via codeina: 7433

That's somewhere between 0.5% and 4.6% of installs. Probably a lot closer
to the former, especially since this counts rawhide and beta users hitting
codeina, but not those users in the install base.  In other words, it gets
about the same rate as a random click-through internet ad.

For comparison, Max's statistics page (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics,
chosen as a random page not oriented to end users) recieved 8808 unique
visitors over the same time period.

Is it worth this much effort for (apparently) little result?

Note that Codeina as available in Fedora 8 GA does not even display the initial dialog due to a bug and Rhythmbox was setup as default for music so the numbers here can be quite skewed.

Rahul