Re: Draft Proposal: Spin Submission and Approval Process

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 9:45 AM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jeff Spaleta wrote:
 > This draft covers how new spins will be developed and released.  It
 > does not yet cover the issue of updated spins which incorporate
 > updated packages.

 How/when are you planning on handling that?

I'm really not keen on handing down a detailed theoretical process
from the Board concerning spin updates, assuming we know what the
problems will be. I'm pretty sure there will be problems and I'm
pretty sure that if we engineer a detailed process now it will solve
the wrong ones.

The original spin process proposal allows for updates to be proposed
as frequently as one month.  I haven't heard any feedback from releng
as to whether or not this is going to be a theoretical problem.  But
until we have an update on the table to argue about I don't see the
point in trying to be more specific.   I pretty much assume the first
spin update will cause problems and frustrations and we'll burn that
bridge when we come to it.

Note that it is *not* a theoretical problem. I have long ago proposed a updates games spin and I really do want it solved asap. The localized spins that I proposed were accepted but it is also is stuck now waiting for the new process to be completed first.

Since the question of hosting also interacts with the idea of updated spins, I would prefer we discuss everything together.

Rahul