Re: Fedora account restrictions

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:32:14 -0500
"Russell Harrison" <rtlm10@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My understanding is that he isn't requesting to remain anonymous to
the Fedora Project.  He's requesting that his name not be used in
places visible to the Internet at large.  I'm not suggesting that we
allow anonymous contributions.  I'm looking for a way to keep the
personal data of a minor available to only fp members or a subset of
members.  I do feel its important that all contributions be connected
to an actual person.  Does that mean we have to broadcast that name to
the rest of the Internet?

Not necessarily.  However I wouldn't feel comfortable stating that we
would keep it secret and then be on the hook should something happen
and it no longer be secret.  It's one thing to say we'll make every
attempt, but it's another to say we'll keep it private.

+1
Add to that
convenient tools we have like IRC bots that can look up somebody's
Fedora account name and spit out their listed name and email address
for the sake of contacting them.  That's basically public information,
it would take a lot of work to turn that private.

Depending on what we're trying to keep hidden we could do something like store a psseudonym in the human_name field of FAS; real email address; real IRC nick. phone#, address, and real human_name could be saved in the internal_comments field where normal apps don't go poking around.

Note that there's nothing preventing an app from getting information from internal_comments, just that nothing currently does (or has any reason to).

-Toshio