Re: permission to use spec files in other projects (Was Re: clamav)

Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
Seems like most people agree with this.

Simple policy decision, then, designed to deal with unlicensed, and therefore presumably public domain, spec files: "If you take a spec file from someone else, be sure that attribution is included. If it is *not* included, include the following text: 'based on a specfile by <foo> at the <bar> project.' If you don't do this, you're a schmuck, and the punishment is to (a) fix it immediately, and (b) wear the Hat of Schmuck." And yes, put it in the review process.

As far as actual licensing goes, I still think it's a matter for Spot. Attribution is pretty much implicit in every licensing scheme anywhere anyway.

Have we had or do we know of any actual complaints about this or are we oiling a wheel that doesn't actually squeak? I can appreciate the perception of the problem but I haven't seen anyone actually complain.

   -Mike