Re: Lessons Learned

On 3/19/07, Jonathan Blandford <jrb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 15:36 -0400, Max Spevack wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Luis Villa wrote:
>
> > The repeated slippage of release dates, and recent discussions about
> > 'must have' features for the next release, make me suspect that Fedora
> > has no answers to the question, or at least none that are any better
> > than Debian's. Fedora may not value democracy over the product, but it
> > doesn't seem to have replaced democracy with anything that is decisively
> > better for the product.
>
> My take on slipping release dates.  We *always* slip.  But then again,
> almost all software projects do.
>
> This is because we start out by saying we want to try to do the release
> every 6 months.  And that can guarantee that it happens in 7 or 8, because
> the physical act of slipping the release causes some level of shame and
> urgency.
>
> If we just said at the beginning 7 months, then I think we'd *still* end
> up slipping, and it would really be 8 or 9 months.

Saying that we always slip seems to be a self fulfilling prophesy for
Fedora.

I think that this is correct. It is probably the one thing that I know
as true from the days of 4.2 and way before. You set the schedule, and
then you silently add the extra 2-3 weeks that you know you will need
because thats the way its always been. When I first got there the
developers were working hard on this or that.. but the word was 'well
we are just going to slip a bit.'.

It is always something.. glibc needs a tweak, wait a week and we will
ahve an X update, we almost made the KDE release date... etc etc.

If we really wanted to do time-base releases, the MustHaves page would
just say:

"Is it April 26th yet?"

... I feel an extremely strong feeling of dejavu here.

and we'd work backwards from there.  Barring doing something that
radical (which GNOME does, to somewhat mixed results), I bet we always
slip a couple months, every release.

Thanks,
-Jonathan