Re: F7 Plan (draft)

Bill Nottingham wrote:

4. A Fedora Desktop spin of F7
Accountable: Jesse Keating (rel-eng), Jonathan Blandford, the Fedora
  Desktop SIG (what, you say there isn't one?)

One of our release targets. Needs defined by Test 2. Test 1 can
be an old-style tree.

5. A Fedora Server spin of F7
Accountable: Jesse Keating (rel-eng), YOUR NAME HERE!

Another one of our release targets. Needs defined by Test 2.

Is there any specific plans for the desktop and server? The only new feature is I see listed is fast user switching. What other differences are there besides the set of packages? Are all these variants single CD's each?

6. A Fedora KDE spin of F7
Accountable: Rex Dieter

Like Fedora Desktop, but with KDE.

Have we thought about having a DVD/CD set of *all* packages? That would be useful for many places whether bandwidth or network access is constrained. The GNOME spin is called "Fedora Desktop" while the KDE one is called "Fedora KDE". Might consider more consistent branding. Speaking about KDE, are we looking at KDE 4?

10. Boot and shutdown speedup
Accountable: me!, David Zeuthen, YOUR NAME HERE

We do enough Stupid Stuff that we can make easy improvements to startup
and shutdown time without large systemic changes. Includes: tagging of
scripts that don't need shut down, profiling of boot, potential changes
to how we organize disk blocks, and more.

Can we look at splitting up packages more during the mass review process? There were many discussions in fedora-devel list and bugzilla reports filed a while back.

14. MP3Buddy
Accountable: Greg DeKoenigsberg

Detect the usage of MP3 without appropriate support. Explain to the user
why Freedom Isn't Free, but offer to point them to a site where they can
obtain legal MP3 support (or other codecs for which legal support
exists.)

I think we might be able to go a bit further than this. There is something similar described in https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/easy-codec-installation

Also it would be useful to look having a good client similar to bug-buddy but system wide for reporting bugs. Are we planning to have a new bugzilla instance at fedoraproject.org?

21. Real-time kernel
Accountable: Ingo Molnar, Dave Jones

Because fake-time kernels are so last year

Is the motivation behind this the integration of Planet CCRMA? Are we going to start allowing alternative kernel like this into Fedora?

Rahul