Re: Idea:T-Shirts at Fedora Events...

Warren Togami wrote:
Hey folks,

I wonder if this is a good or bad idea and would appreciate your input.

Typically at events like FUDCON, or regional Linux shows, we hand out many free Fedora T-shirts. Why don't we instead sell the t-shirts at a reasonable price (like $5-10) with all proceeds going to a selected charitable organization like Creative Commons, Electronic Frontier Foundation, or the FSF?

http://wtogami.livejournal.com/11118.html
We could also sell extremely popular, viral meme shirts like this for $10-$15, with proceeds going to these same charities.

I think this is a good idea for two key reasons.
1) People who buy shirts are more likely to wear it, therefore more effective at promoting Fedora than indiscriminately handing out shirts to swag leeches. 2) Red Hat already loses money by giving away t-shirts. We could instead leverage this for a good charitable purpose. This makes Fedora look good as a supporter of greater community causes.

There are of course venues where selling shirts wouldn't work too well, and we would give them away for free there. But at community oriented events, this could work very well.

Thoughts?

Any ideas of other major charities that are in-line with the values of the Fedora Project?

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx

One potential area that would be a problem is Taxes, Some areas have sales tax on clothing items, there is also the income tax issue. Just a couple nuggets to chew on, if you are selling something for a profit or not some one wants a chunk.

--
Robert 'Bob' Jensen *        * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BobJensen
gpg fingerprint:     F9F4 7243 4243 0043 2C45 97AF E8A4 C3AE 42EB 0BC6