Re: looking at our surrent state a bit

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

I'd call what happend there "the maintainer baked it once and then
forget about that". Give FESCo free hand to revamp "Fedora Alternatives"
and Ill show you that the community can do better.

I know. That worked. Fedora could be so much better and ahead of our
competitors if Red Hat would help with the birth of some stuff a bit
more. That part of the reasons why I started this thread.

There aren't many people in the Fedora community I trust more than I trust Thorsten. He says we've got a lot of work to do in order to make Fedora more open. He's exactly right.

We've got a lot of work to do inside the fenceline, though. Honestly, a lot of that work requires the disentanglement of Fedora and RHEL -- we need the ability to innovate freely in Fedora without adversely impacting RHEL. We didn't really have that opportunity in the FC6 timeframe.

But now we do.

Our real goal: to figure out how to open Core to community developers. There. I said it. But it's going to take some *extremely* heavy lifting.

I know it's hard to hear "we're working on it," and you can only hear that so many times. But Max, Bill and I will be flying up to Boston and spending several days talking through internal issues around Fedora with the other engineers. The goal: a proposal for a community roadmap for FC7, which we will then present to community folks for additional guidance. I'd like to see something presented on this list by November 15th.

--g