Re: Fedora Project and Hosting

Mike McGrath wrote:
So people have been asking more and more for general VCS space,
sometimes SVN, GIT, CVS.  My question for the board:  Is the Fedora
Project a place to host this stuff or should we just point them to
freshmeat and sourceforge?  Here's an example thats comes up:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/tickets/index.pl?Action=AgentTicketZoom&TicketID=102

and another

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/tickets/customer.pl?Action=CustomerTicketZoom&TicketID=94

We (infrastructure team) have rejected this latter case because the justification is weak and given our limited time and manpower resources we cannot handle such requests for the time being.

In the long run however, we do need some easy way for Fedora contributors to build and host projects. Such a system must be automated in allowing users to create hosted projects using a self-serve interface.

Ubuntu's Launchpad is very powerful in its ability for anybody to create a hosted project with repositories and other services. Even if the majority of sub-projects go nowhere, the flexibility and convenience does tend to allow projects to grow with close affiliations with the larger project.

I personally witnessed the community enabling power of Launchpad while at the LTSP hackfest during September. During the course of the event, the Canonical engineer convinced LTSP upstream that they can better track their upstream source by maintaining it in bazaar repositories hosted by Launchpad. In one afternoon, they were able to create the project and checkin repositories, without any bureaucratic hassles or delays.

The only real bad thing about Launchpad is that it itself is not FOSS. If Fedora creates an infrastructure to self-create projects and repositories like Launchpad, we would need to make it 100% FOSS.

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx