[Fwd: ebay and open source]

Seems to me we need to educate eBay...

--- Begin Message --- Hi,

I realized that many people cannot download the latest release of Fedora including the test release and the cource code because it's very big.

Sure, a lot of people developing and adding to it have big fast internet connections. It is not so however in my country.  I finally after almost a week was able to download the complete kit via my ADSL line (which in Thailand is very slow).  My friends in the local linux user groups immeadiately started asking me to make copies for them.  A couple days later a local systems integrator asked me to send them a copy.

I started thinking that I should make this available to everybody, but I didn't want to set up an ecommerce site and I already auction things off on ebay all the time.

I started an auction for a high quality copy of the current test release so that everyone, everywhere could get a copy on dvd for $0.99 + $1.00 shipping.  I obviously was not trying to make money through this effort!

Ebay stopped my auction saying at first that "You may not sell trademark and copyrighted software on eBay".   I pointed out that it is allowed to distribute this software under the license rules.

Next they said that "You cannot distribute beta software beecause manufacturers do not allow you to distribute beta software".

I'd like to know how Ebay thinks that all that Open Source software they use internally got created!  Without access to 'test' versions there would be no bug reports and no bug fixes!

For Open Source to survive it must be distributed as widley as possible.  Ebay has in effect tried to stop Open Source from growing.

I'd appreciate it if you could contact ebay and explain that I have not violated any licenses in my auctions (ebay id: urguaranteed).

I'd also appreciate it if you could contact Ebay about not stopping the flow open source software.

I'd love to see a headline "Ebay stops distribution of open source software on it's site.  Ebay is against open source".

THANKS!

Peeyphamase Chaloue
Linux and Open Source FANATIC

--- End Message ---