Re: Alternative kernels?

Jeremy Katz wrote:
On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 23:28 +0530, Rahul wrote:
So since we decided to allow kernel modules in Fedora Extras now, what about alternative kernels?

The immediate need for this is a kernel with Ingo's RT patch set (http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/) that is used by Planet CCRMA that we are trying to integrate into Fedora.

We already discussed this before at https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2006-May/msg00055.html. A quick decision now. Yes/no?

I'd say no

This is that classic problem that it's hard for us to manage > 1 of anything in our trees. I suspect (but correct me if I'm wrong) that Jeremy is actually concerned about the lack of focus on the mainline kernel, or wanting to get the RT patches upstream.

I'm happy to enable there to be > 1 kernel, but it's hard because of the way that our packaging systems work. We're doing this right now for OLPC, based on David and Marcelo's work, but I'm not sure what the mechanism is to make sure that the OLPC kernel always wins.

--Chris