Re: [sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Re: [Fwd: What is the mkisofs license?]]

From: Rahul <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  [Fwd: What is the mkisofs license?]
To: fedora-advisory-board@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 21:45:22 +0530

Bill Nottingham wrote:
I suspect the number of users/developers that would migrate due
to the 'fully FSF free' addition over just 'fully open source' would
be minimal at best - the biggest bang is going the 'fully open source'
route.

If it's just a issue of popularity, we might just agree with ESR . Anyway it is better to know what we would lose in terms of packages or other issues rather than talking about it abstractly.

Lets run the analysis and get the results. openmotif for example isnt even a open source license

http://www.opengroup.org/openmotif/faq.html

Please have a look at the openmotif license. I do not think, that this is really a problem:

--- excerpt ---
2. GRANT OF RIGHTS
The rights granted under this license are limited solely to distribution and sublicensing of the Contribution(s) on, with, or for operating systems which are themselves Open Source programs. Contact The Open Group for a license allowing distribution and sublicensing of the Original Program on, with, or for operating systems which are not Open Source programs.
--- excerpt ---

Thomas