Re: final rough draft

Max Spevack wrote:

By choosing not to ship any proprietary or binary drivers, Fedora does differ from other distributions. Ubuntu is one example, as there is very strong language about freedom, right up until the moment at which they say that they include binary drivers on their CDs and in their repositories.

http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/philosophy
http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/licensing

non-free or proprietary drivers might be a better choice of words though considering the audience this might not be a issue.

In the past, Red Hat's counsel has been uncomfortable with enabling NTFS support in the kernel due to the fact that the implementation is well patented by Microsoft.

We dont know it is "Well patented". All I heard is that there are potential patent issues and the potential is more than other random pieces of code but lets not state this as if its a fact and paint ourselves into a corner.

  Recently, the kernel has become protected by the
OIN and the question of NTFS in our kernels has been raised on the Fedora Advisory Board recently (within the last month or two). When we have an answer regarding that, the analysis and result will also be published transparently for people to comment on and discuss.

A link to OIN please. Might also throw in the point that OIN was the reason we decided to include Mono.

Rahul