Re: slashdot question: dependencies

Ville Skyttä wrote:
On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 20:39 +0530, Rahul wrote:

In this specific example, we can probably split things up to have a nautilus-evince sub package but since Evince is linked against the nautilus extension interface this is not a totally stupid dependency. It is also of important that Evince is a universal document viewer and not just a postscript previewer and naturally requires more dependencies.

If I understand correctly, evince is not linked to nautilus per se,
there's just one extension module to nautilus in a separate file which
adds an additional property tab in nautilus' file properties view for
supported file types.

Just doing the split may cause difficulties for folks to find the
property package; locating and installing a separate package for just a
property page is not something users should be expected to do
"manually", instead, it should Just Be There if the dependencies are
satisfied.

Well normally users would just get the desktop desktop set which includes both Evince and nautilus and the extension package when its split up. When the user is installing Evince is say KDE manually then they dont require nautilus or its property pages and should be allowed to install it separately.

So even without any RPM changes, we could generally split up packages more and install them all by default satisfying both the needs.

Rahul