Re: dropping helix player from fc6

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Wednesday 09 August 2006 01:06, Rahul wrote:
We should have announced that we are dropping it and give room for
extras packagers to pick it up if they need it as a dependency of their
own packages.  Amarok in this case is depending on the Helix media
framework to play open formats. There seems to be a (broken) gstreamer
backend as a option too so thats a good choice when we fix things up.

We did. Granted it was on the day that we removed it, but we were shooting for the Test2 deadline and were timecrunched.

What's the rush? We could have easily dropped this package after the test 2 release and done it in a more smoother fashion. Our priority should be making sure we arent breaking packages in *both* core and extras when we move packages from one repository to another. It would have been pretty easily to make the decision, announce it in fedora-maintainers list and wait for a time period before dropping such packages. Again a similar process for packages that are being moved over into Fedora Core from extras. We have been consistently poor about doing this.

Rahul