Re: New project formation is out of control

Guys and girls,

I just received an email within the Brazilian community promoting Damien's "usability" project.

We better stop discussing and enforce the policy asap.

I also agree with the simplicity put in this email.

Best,
--
db

Rex Dieter wrote:
Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
So why is new project formation out of control?

My theory: because we're not enforcing any guidelines on their creation -- even limited guidelines. We're just wringing our hands after the fact.

Here's the simplest possible guidelines I can imagine -- and the simplest possible guidelines are almost always the best. :)

1. Community members are allowed to create Fedora SIGs. Create them, announce them, rally support around them. Do whatever you like.

2. Fedora Projects may *only* be announced by the Fedora Board.

3. State this policy on fedora-announce-list, and make it prominent on the wiki.

4. Anyone who violates this simple policy will be corrected as quickly as possible, and asked to go back to everywhere they announced it and announce the corrected truth: "oops, I created a SIG, not a project. Sorry."

Simplicty and consistency.  That's what makes rules stick.

From reading:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DefiningProjects
It looks pretty close to what you proposed except it uses the terms "Ideas" and "Incubator Projects" instead of SIGs. Personally, I like the simplicity of Greg's proposal of using only the terms SIG and Project. Opinions?

Otherwise, I'll work to flesh-out the wiki page with the goal that this topic can be discussed and official-ized at (or before) the next Board meeting.

-- Rex

begin:vcard
fn:David Barzilay
n:Barzilay;David
org:Red Hat Brasil
adr;quoted-printable;quoted-printable:;;Av. Ang=C3=A9lica, 2.503 - 8o andar;S=C3=A3o Paulo;SP;01227-200;Brasil
email;internet:barzilay@xxxxxxxxxx
title:Marketing and Community Manager
tel;work:(+5511) 3124 6000
tel;home:(+5511) 3259 6212