Re: fedora slashdot interview

That was a pretty good summary, Rahul.

Although you "doubt any question would be phrased that way", I believe we should be ready for it.

Just my 0,02!

Rahul wrote:
David Barzilay wrote:
Nice move, Max.

We can never stop online hoaxes or misinformed articles, so I also believe we should always opt for the clarifying method.

People speculate a bunch, we explain whassup, then judgement is up to the readers ;)

Now my question: do you intend to go against the assumption that Red Hat "neglected its Fedora desktop users"?

Better to wait for the questions to be asked before speculating. I doubt any question would be phrased that way. Fedora is not even in the picture when Red Hat supposedly abandoned the desktop since people equated the retail model with desktop usage and Fedora is not a retail commercially supported product.

Having said that, the number of new efforts that Red Hat or people in Red Hat has created (and continue to work on) around the desktop (freedesktop.org, hal, dbus, Network Manager, GTK, Large amount of GNOME etc is good enough a proof that Red Hat is willing to invest very heavily in the desktop.

There is a question of better integration in existing products that goes beyond Red Hat's upstream project involvement though. Random examples of this are Network Manager being shipped enabled by default in various other distributions while Fedora does not. Dogtail just got into Fedora development tree yesterday. Sabayon is in Fedora Extras still.

Red Hat's launch of purely desktop (and laptop) focused commercial products if any is ever done depend on solid business value. We will get to that point soon I hope.

Rahul

begin:vcard
fn:David Barzilay
n:Barzilay;David
org:Red Hat Brasil
adr;quoted-printable;quoted-printable:;;Av. Ang=C3=A9lica, 2.503 - 8o andar;S=C3=A3o Paulo;SP;01227-200;Brasil
email;internet:barzilay@xxxxxxxxxx
title:Marketing and Community Manager
tel;work:(+5511) 3124 6000
tel;home:(+5511) 3259 6212