Re: EULA/Export Concerns

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, seth vidal wrote:

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 15:04 -0400, Mark Webbink wrote:
Roozbeh is certainly welcome to his opinions, but having been through
this discussion many times before, this is a non-issue.  Fedora is
U.S.-based, and Red Hat, as its distributors, has an obligation to
abide by U.S. law regardless of what the GPL may say.  That law
forbids the export of Fedora to certain countries and individuals.
Anyone who knowingly distributes or permits the distribution of Fedora
in violation of U.S. export control laws is subject to substantial
fines and criminal conviction.  This  is not dissimilar to the laws in
other countries that regulate the import and export of goods,
including computer software, and Fedora is obligated to respect all of
those.  The fact that these laws exist does not override the intent of
the licensor, i.e., that Fedora is free software, nor does it in my
legal opinion violate the GPL (understanding that others, including
the FSF, may disagree with me on this point).  However, the GPL does
not relieve anyone from complying with the national laws in those
countries within which they reside.

Has anyone told Roozbeh just this?

Any problem with my forwarding this mail to him?

Open archives on this list. I'll send him a note pointing him to the entire thread, so that he can see that we discussed it.

--Max

--
Max Spevack
+ http://people.redhat.com/mspevack/