Re: [fab] Non-standard kernels in the Fedora Multiverse

Jesse Keating wrote:

Or do we fire up thoughts on Alternatives again?  Somewhere that we can
host replacement packages that folks can use to assemble 'Fedora'
variants but not be tied to the kernel or whatever.  If we use the same
rules, or come up with a good rule set for Alternatives, same package
quality, same build systems, etc... we should be able to call it Fedora.

I'm not a huge fan of alternatives to solve problems like this because I think it solves the problem at the wrong level. Things like music servers or OLPC really have to happen at the final integration point. At that point you pull in:

1. the packages you want
2. the install process you want
3. the kernel you want

and then you provide an image/repo for people to use with the customizations that are required. This sounds like the right place to make these changes, not down at an alternative/package level.

Another way to put it is that alternatives sounds like a way to make a choice _inside_ of Fedora and as near as I can tell we're talking about variants of Fedora as a whole.

--Chris