Re: [fab] Non-standard kernels in the Fedora Multiverse

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 00:01 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> On Mon, 8 May 2006, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > I think that this request may fit into more of an Alternatives project
> > where multiple kernels and other tools might be able to look at.
>
> Yeah.  We killed off Alternatives a while back -- not because it wasn't a
> good idea, but because it wasn't a good idea at the time.

I'm still not convinced it's a good idea... it does little to encourage
actually getting things merged.  And lots of forks ==> more work.

> Here's the fallback position: Fernando continues to maintain the CCRMA
> kernel in his own yum repo, and *everything else* gets pulled into Extras
> over time.  (To the best of my knowledge, none of the CCRMA apps *require*
> the CCRMA kernel -- it's just a huge help for getting any actual work
> done.)  That way, at least Fernando has a mechanism to spread the workload
> for maintaining CCRMA among several assistants, and can spend most of his
> time maintaining his own kernel as he sees fit.

While that can work, I think this puts users in the worst place as a
non-mainline kernel will inevitably lag in terms of security fixes, etc.
And any kernel modules that are built in Extras won't be able to be used
for that kernel.

Jeremy