Re: [fab] Kadischi : Legal issues

I am not, not have I ever been, a fan of powered by or based on, since that attributes the value of the brand to something that isn't the brand.  It is either a technology to which the brand applies in its entirety, or its not.

Mark

Christopher Blizzard wrote:
Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:

  a. Does he call it:
    + Fedora KDE?
    + RexKDE, based on Fedora?
    + KDExcellent, a Fedora distribution?

Another might be "KDE LiveCD, based on Fedora."  Sounds dorky, but if he's doing it because he likes KDE more than Fedora it makes sense. It's not strong branding for us, because it doesn't look like it has our blessing.  So maybe "KDE LiveCD, powered by Fedora."  might be better if we're actually blessing it.

  b. Does he need our approval, or is that approval implied
     by the fact that it's all Fedora components?

Here's another way to put it: if you get it from fedoraproject.org and/or official mirrors, it's Fedora.  If you get it from somewhere else it's based on/powered by.  That's one possible knife we can use.

--Chris

Once we successfully answer these branding questions, we can close the issue.

--g