Re: Running virt-install without X

Umm ... I think virsh is what you want, slthough I do not think you understand what I told you about KVM.

You will need to connect to the Debian installer somehow if you go that route, I am not familiar with it and I am not sure if you can simply boot the iso and then connect to the guest via ssh.

For virsh, since I see your google is broken =)

http://linux.die.net/man/1/virsh

http://prefetch.net/blog/index.php/2009/06/15/migrating-kvm-hosts-with-virsh/

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-2450/6n4o5me9j?a=view

http://www.howtoforge.com/virtualization-with-kvm-on-ubuntu-9.04-p3

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/Managing

That should certainly get you started.

As far as running KVM without X I suggest you read man qemu

Or try this blog :

http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/how-to-run-kvm-without-x/

with the -vnc flag you can run without X

-vnc none

or , since you are installing from an iso, -vnc :0 (or what have you) so you may connect to the installer from remote.

Neither -vnc none or -vnc :0 require X at all on the (host) server or guest (you can connect via vnc to a minimal guest with no X installed on either host or guest).

Happy reading =)