Re: VMware/qemu-kvm-?? migration

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 03:16:45PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 08:53:32AM -0400, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> > 4.  Under qemu-kvm I created a simple Fedora guest definition.  I
> > then copied and used a VMware F9 guest with a vmdk file which is
> > HWversion=4 and was created under VMware on a SCSI interface disk.
> > To make matters even worse, this VMware guest uses the "root" (/)
> > partition on a LVM logical volume.  Boot the guest up on qemu-kvm
> > and it immediately crashes because it cannot find "root" or see the
> > logical volumes.
>
> I'm not really familiar with HWversion in VMWare.  We just support
> whatever qemu / qemu-img supports, so I suggest trying to do a
> conversion using qemu-img (see my previous posting).

Another suggestion (from Matt Booth who's not subscribed to this
list):

Is the right SCSI driver available in the initrd?  You should be able
to find out what driver(s) are in the guest's initrd using
virt-inspector.

Rich.

bindings from many languages.  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/
See what it can do: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/recipes.html