Re: Features request

Thank you all for listening to my request.

I think there are 3 "basic" types of virtualization users, each with slightly different needs.

1. Testing development. VM used as a sand box.

2. Testing an iso, taking rawhide for a spin.

3. Running servers in an isolated VM for any variety of reasons.

In the first two NAT is sufficient.

With the last, however, NAT is not the easiest of options.

In terms of networking, there are 3 types.

1. (most common) virtual machines have assess to external network.

2. (not unusaual) Host only. The virtual machines can talk with host only.

3. Isolated virtual network. The VM talk to each other and to host. Some may take to external networks and some may not .

These are broad categories I know, my point is IMO it would be nice if one could have such options in virt-manager. If you want a more detailed user case I for these options I can provide >
How about running a DMZ on virtual machines, with a proxy server to public net and isolated web / mysql servers, in the DMZ, isolated from both LAN and public access, but accessible by host and public proxy server.

FYI wireless cards can be bridged with parprouted . I am not an expert on this mind you. Virtualbox is able to bridge wireless cards and (I do not use VBox) I believe they use parprouted.

At any rate here is an example :

http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Simple_shell_script_to_manage_your_virtual_machine_with_bridged_networking

sorry for the long url , lol

Scroll down to the "kvm-manager.sh for wireless interface " section.

I would also like to say I am not implying you should "break" or change the way virt-manager works or the xml file structure.

I would hope one could add in some "advanced" features of KVM as suggested by "Emre Erenoglu" <erenoglu@xxxxxxxxx> .

One such feature would be snapshot ;)

Again thank you.