Virtinst and blktap

I had a user question about how they can specify blktap for Xen in Cobbler instead of the file driver (for performance reasons) ... well, it turns out they can't (yet).

Under what conditions can we use blktap, and is that advisable? (I had thought this might work like virtio, in which case, passing in the os version uses a table, but it seems this may only actually depend on the host and has no guest limitations?)

It looks like from the virtinst code I could just call utils.is_blktap_capable() from my libvirt-using application and if so, then pass the driver=DRIVER_TAP options to virstinst.

Good idea?  Bad idea?

--Michael