Re: edge case with virt-manager and multiple connections

Brenton Leanhardt wrote:
> I'm using virt-manager 0.6.0 on F10 and I came across an edge case
> with regard to managing multiple connections.  In my case the domain
> xml files were mounted via NFS and shared across multiple hosts.
>
> This obviously leads to guests on each machine having the same uuid.
> I expected each of my 3 virt hosts to list all the domains and to be
> able to select where I wanted a particular guest to be started.  What
> I didn't expect was that once I started a guest on one domain it
> immediately showed up as "Running" on the other two virt hosts.
> Stopping the VM on the correct host also behaves as expected.
>
> Is this a case virt-manager should handle?  I could attempt a patch if
> given a bit of guidance.  Namely,
>
> Should a vmmDomain have knowledge of which host is running on?
>
> Should there be seperate instances for each host even though they have
> the same uuid (which in this case is not really a uuid).
>
> Would it be best to simply patch the UI to handle this edge case?

Thanks for looking to patch this, but this should actually be fixed in
virt-manager-0.6.1 which I plan on pushing to F10. The commits are:

http://hg.et.redhat.com/cgi-bin/hg-virt.cgi/applications/virt-manager--devel/rev/9c4afb8ad1e6
http://hg.et.redhat.com/cgi-bin/hg-virt.cgi/applications/virt-manager--devel/rev/4e7c3f99f0db

The issue was that we were using only UUID as the unique identifier for
rows in the manager window, which was switched to using connection URI +
UUID.

Thanks,
Cole