Re: paravirtualization on a T7200

I'm using kvm in Ubuntu Intrepid x86_64, and I thought kvm could do paravirtualization. So I'll try xen while I'm waiting for a new release of kvm with paravirtualization support.

Thanks a lot Cole, you answered my questions!

I'm using kvm so I guess that's the problem, then I'll try Xen soon.

2009/1/23 Cole Robinson <crobinso@xxxxxxxxxx>
Javier Carnero Iglesias wrote:
> Hi guys, I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop with an Intel T7200. I have VT
> enabled in the BIOS, but virt-manager only allows me to do fully virtualized
> machines.

FYI, 'fully virtualized' is what VT allows you to use.

> Does anyone knows why "paravirtualized" option is disabled for me on
> virt-manager?
>
> I've some days working on it and i'm totaly lost, any help appreciated,
> thanks!

What distro and hypervisor are you using? (basically, xen or kvm).

If you are using kvm, true paravirtualization isn't a valid option, so
just choose fully virt. Paravirt, in the sense that we represent it,
only applies to xen. Yes, the UI is confusing in this respect, but all
that is slated to change "real soon now".

If you are using xen, please provide:

uname -a
virsh capabilities

Thanks,