Re: [patch] virt-convert add disk signature into virt-image format export

Here's a sample that works, just want to verify it's alright. Is 64MB too much/too little to read at one time?

f = open("test.raw","r")
m = sha.new()
while 1:
   chunk = f.read(65536)
   if not chunk:
       break
   m.update(chunk)
print m.hexdigest()

Cole Robinson wrote:
Joey Boggs wrote:
It helps code readability if spacing is reasonably
consistent throughout.

Hmm, so I just tried the above. What that is essentially
trying to do is read the entire disk into memory, then
pass it off as a giant string to the sha function. Clearly
this is not a workable solution. This also applies to
the virt-image hash changes as well. Haven't looked into
the correct way to do it though.

This is also a rather large performance drain. So at the
very least it should not be the default. That said, I
don't know the optimal way to expose this option, or
even if we should.
I think this will become important as we look to distribute the appliances either via RHN or on public sites. Also.. this makes us a bit more consistent with OVF.

I am fine with making it off by default, and then causing the command line to turn it on.

-- bk
I'd rather it be right than kill performance and make it unusable at best, should the imagefile be bigger than the machines memory. If we outsource it to run a system command is that feasible, since we're dealing with big files? I know Cole was against that originally. I'll keep looking for a better way and cleanup the variables as well. Making it off by default is probably best too.

When I was talking about performance, I was addressing the
'correct' way to do, when the 'read into memory' piece is
fixed. Even then, generating a checksum is a very slow
process if you are using a large disk (I used sha1sum on
a DVD iso and it took about 3-4 minutes).

So in this case, turning it off by default is the thing to
do, we can figure out a cli switch to enable it, but this
is all dependent on determining the correct way to use the
libraries. You'll just have to use a loop and read in blocks
of data at a time, and keep passing it to the library to update the hash.

- Cole