Re: Sysdirector

Ah,

I think I misunderstood the purpose of sysdirector.

I envisioned being able to template puppet/cfengine config files much in the same way that we do now for kickstart, snippets, etc.

Daniel spoke about it solving the wrong problem. I'm not sure I disagree with him but currently I think the vast majority of people who use some sort of configuration mgmt system wind up templating their files.

I guess I need to look a bit more at Augeas.

Cheers,
Harry

Michael DeHaan wrote:
<snip>

I talked with one of the authors for a while on IRC last week, just to understand what they were trying to do, since typically Cobbler+puppet (or cfengine for some) is the way /most/ of the people here manage their systems. (That, and it seems nagios+cacti for monitoring/trending).

Sysdirector is apparently glue for puppet/cfengine+their homegrown PXE provisioning. They had heard of Cobbler but had not looked at it.

My main concern is that it uses Twisted to provide TFTP and HTTP services, rather than tftp-server and Apache. I suspect that will cause some rather painful scaling issues. Also there is no virtualization solution, and in present times, being able to support virtualization at the same level of physical systems is critical. Twisted has always struck me as a rather experimental "wouldn't it be cool if" kind of library, but not something I would consider for production server building.

Ultimately, I wish them luck, and open source allows for choice. If people like it they will use it, but the real power in OSS development is in communities, feedback, and design. I am really proud of the community we have here and I expect that if there is something we're lacking you'll tell us (and maybe even help us build it). So, if there is something you like about sysdirector that we /don't/ do, or other tools integrating some of our favored tools don't exist, tell us what it is, and we'll try to make it better.

--Michael