Re: cobbler-1.0.1-2 - build problem using koan

Tom,

Please provide the following info:
  • What does /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/xxxxxxx look like (where xxxxxxxx corresponds to your system)?
    • Is xinetd (or standalone tftpd) running?
  • What does the host entry (corresponding to your system) in /etc/dhcpd.conf look like?
    • Is dhcpd running?
  • Are you 100% positive that there is an ethernet link on eth0 and not on some other NIC? (you may want to try setting ksdevice=link in your tftp boot file)?
  • Do you observe dhcp-related noise on the cobbler server (tcpdump, etc.) indicating that the provisioned system is communicating properly?  Are there any f/w's, vlan issues (you may need a dhcp helper address if your system is on a separate vlan than the cobbler server), etc. that might interfere with the boot process?
  • Can you provide a more detailed list of what shows up on the console during the boot process?
Regards,

 - A.

Tom Brown wrote:
Hi

I cant use DHCP yet in my prd environment but i can use koan so i can have cobbler rebuild existing hosts.

I have setup a cobbler server and added a test system to that but i encounter an issue when i try and build using koan in that after the client reboots and boots the 'kick' kernel it seems unable to get the kickstart as it starts to ask me which ethernet card to use and also then tries to do a DHCP request.

If i hit the URL that generates the kickstart it seems fine and the network part looks like this apart from the xxxxxx and the 'cobbler.server' hostname

# Use network installation
url --url="" class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://cobbler.server/cblr/links/RHEL4-u5-i386">http://cobbler.server/cblr/links/RHEL4-u5-i386
# Network information
network --bootproto=static --device=eth0 -- --ip=10.xxx.xxx.19  --netmask=255.255.254.0 --gateway=10.xxx.xxx.253 --nameserver=10.xxx.xxx.117 --hostname=xxxxxxxx

In the grub config on the client before i reboot i see this

title kick1214906905
   root (hd0,0)
   kernel /vmlinuz ro root=LABEL=/ ks=http://cobbler.server/cblr/svc/op/ks/system/xxxxxxxx
   initrd /initrd.img

and the 'cobbler.server' can be resolved from the client using the correct nameserver -

Does anyone have any ideas whats going on as i am stuck?

thanks