Re: Cobbler and Ghost

Michael DeHaan wrote:
Seann Clark wrote:
All,

I am new to the list, and have a working cobbler running perfectly save for kickstarts (I have no clue where to begin with that, but that is a different issue).

system-config-kickstart is a great way to build them.

The other way is to install a system and look at /root/anaconda.ks that is left over after installation.
Thanks, I will look over that. I have just started reviewing KS stuff for this (Automated Windows installs are easy for me, so I am not seeing much of a problem with this outside of the learning curve)

What I am desiring to get going is the ability to set up a ghost for linux (G4L) image on cobbler to be able to netboot/ghost a drive to a network location, and I am wondering if anyone else has done this before, or if it would be advisable.

I recently started a thread about exploring inclusion of imaging tools in Cobbler, so it can keep track of images and make that easier.

So far udpcast and systemimager came up. I'm still looking into options as right now udpcast involves a bit of setup that I find a bit too involved for most users (including me) to get the target image working correctly. G4L might be another one to look at, though I'm suprised they haven't been talked to about the name yet.
G4L is not too bad of a tool, it is an ncurses UI that looks and feels a lot like Nortan Ghost (I am used to Nortan, hence why I took that route) but I don't have enough foresight into cobbler to figure much out (Matter of fact, the only reason I started on Cobbler was it was a good PXE boot manager, and so far it works perfectly for that) I had recently come across systemimager but only glanced at that. My current project is a bit... complex and finding the way to do it so it works will be, well, kind of fun. Said project is to move my current server (web/media/cobbler) to a newer more robust 'real' server (going from 32 bit to 64 bit) and getting it set up again to match will be a nightmare, because this system has been my workhorse for about 3-4 years and I don't remember some of the dependencies I have set up for it, so I prob. will look into a configuration manager as mentioned below.

I have a few systems that are laboriously configured that I would like to be able to periodically ghost before, and after an upgrade (in case something goes very wrong, like my last Fedora 7 --> Fedora 8 fun, where my install lost the LVM from the previous install and I had to fight it to get it to update, which isn't good at all).

This looks like a good time to pick up a config management tool (something like Puppet), plus a backup tool, so that you can express your configuration in terms of kickstarts, configurations, and so forth. Imaging is a problem because you usually don't know what went into the image, so changing it can be kind of haphazard. That's why we want to encourage kickstart + config management wherever possible. That's not to say imaging doesn't have it's case... for Windows, that's one of the better options.

I have successfully completed manual cobbler assisted installs, and my install works pretty well, and I am looking at fleshing it out a bit to other O/s's besides just Linux (namely Solaris if it is supported, I haven't read into that too much) and am looking at a Windows remote installer (Unattended looked to be the best so far).

Imaging windows seems to be the way to go to me. That way other distributions are covered under the same proverbial umbrella.
I am currently testing Unattended with a couple of 'core' images. With this, I plan on taking a distro, and making a 'clean' install available for quick testing of install/performance in the Windows environment, and imaging my current running systems as a decent backup for this.

If doing a network bootable Ghost system isn't feasible in Cobbler, would there be anything else that isn't commercial (I know Nortan Ghost does network ghosting with its server products) that I could use for this?

Any of the above...

Seann Clark
Tsukinokage.net
nombrandue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx