From: et-mgmt-tools-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:et-mgmt-tools-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Peter Wright
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2008 15:54
To: Fedora/Linux Management Tools
Subject: Re:  Cobbler: defining network profiles

James_Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Greetings folks.  I was working out a RFE with mpdehaan in #cobbler
this
morning, and he thought I should post it here to get other folks
input.
https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/ticket/164

I think it would be a great addition to be able to define network
profiles
for systems/profiles, etc.

A network profile would consist of :

subnet mask default gateway dns server

hmm - that's an interesting idea. that would make IP'ing workstations here a little easier, and less error prone. it would be very helpful for sites that have a ton of VLANs - with this method you could have your senior admins create profiles for all your VLANs ahead of time - then easily have your junior admins assign network

profiles based on the location of a desktop for example (we use a separate VLAN for each teleco closet here - and system moves are pretty frequent unfortunately).

<snip>
In the background, my guess is that the information is still stored
the
same way, and if a network profile is changed, systems that use it are
synced whenever a cobbler sync occurs.
Yea that would be best I think - you may want to make these changes to many systems for example, but only have dhcpd change it's config after a

sync.
great idea!

-pete

--