Re: Scientific Linux 4.6 paravirt install works - FC7 or FC8 not

Jens Ahrens wrote:
Hi everybody,

I'm running FC7 as Dom0 and set up some paravirt SL 4.6 machines with cobbler-0.8.0-1.fc7 and koan-0.8.0-1.fc7. When I tried to setup a FC7 pvm the console output stops at a certain point:

Write protecting the kernel read-only data: 938k

Almost the same result for FC8 - it stops saying:

Determining IP Adress for eth0

and hangs forever. When I set up a dhcp server on Dom0 manually for e.g. the FC8-Install the installation goes fairly automatically (some queries that a package can't be found - after retrying it is found). My question why does a SL4.6 install work without a dedicated dhcp server and FC7 or FC8 do not?

Ten to one it's not actually hanging.

What happens is that Xen has switched over from showing the console to showing via VNC.

To suppress this behavior, use koan with --nogfx or just switch to using virt-manager at that point.

Thanks for any help,
Cheers,
Jens