Re: Starting again with a new cobbler server

drew einhorn wrote:
On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Michael DeHaan <mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
drew einhorn wrote:

I am building a new cobbler server, going back to the beginning
and starting form scratch.

The links from the "Source RPM Build Instructions for RHEL5"
section of the download page are broken.

 So they are.   Thankfully these are in EPEL now so I can update the
links/instructions.  Will do.

 That's really all you have to do to install as well -- just configure your
system to use EPEL as a yum repo
 and "yum install cobbler".   There's not really a need to rebuild the
source RPMs unless you are doing development on them.

yum-utils is not found in CentOS5 EPEL, unless I am looking in the wrong place.

We do have:

    yum-utils.                   noarch    1.0.4-3.el5.centos.2   base

in the CentOS 5.1 base distro.

There is no CentOS 5 EPEL, there is only EPEL, which works for all derivative distributions equally.
The instructions on the website do say "RHEL 5 rebuild" instructions :)

I have been leery of the EPEL repo, since there was a time, not long ago,
when their packagers were blatantly refusing to cooperate with other
repos on compatibility issues.  I hope times have changed.

I don't see a basis for that at all.
EPEL's goal is providing a common repo for packages usable by all
yum consumers. It's a fantastic service as it allows any Fedora hosted project to also offer up RPMs
to Enterprise Linux using the same repositories.

yum-utils is in the testing repos, so perhaps you were looking in stable -- either way, it's not needed
if you are running CentOS as that was in the base repo.

--Michael