Re: Starting again with a new cobbler server

drew einhorn wrote:
On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Michael DeHaan <mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
drew einhorn wrote:

The the breed ooption is new, since the last time I was paying attention.
How well does it work with a Ubuntu Gutsy or Hardy distro?

 Should do fine.   Basically all --breed=debian does is change the kernel
arguments so that what you feed to --kickstart is actually treated as a
preseed.   Ubuntu should work just the same.   I believe if you leave it
unmodified (no --breed parameter) the kernel arguments /might/ work with
Ubuntu's mutated version of kickstart also,  though you'll need to be
careful about what goes in the template.

Felt like the "cobbler import" should take the breed option, but it was rejected
so I tried, an import without it:

     sudo cobbler import --mirror=/mnt/iso1 --name=ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386

Expected. ATM cobbler import does not support non Red Hat based distros. Support is not in plan -- at least not by me, anyway. "cobbler distro add", however, does work thanks to patches already submitted to add that support.

Should you be wanting to add other distro import capability, I welcome patches -- something like action_foreign_import.py is probably a good fit rather than trying to make the existing Red Hat-based import code work elsewhere -- namely because it's already pretty complicated to detect varying tree layouts and mirror sources and so forth.

--Michael